How to Use the Cochrane Library
The Cochrane Library Collection is intended to be used by nurses, physicians, and healthcare administration. Cochrane Library is highly regarded for the creation of rigorous systematic reviews. A Systematic review includes searching, appraising and collating all relevant empirical evidence in order to provide a complete interpretation of research results.
Included in the Cochrane Library is the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (CDSR). Each Cochrane Review is a peer-reviewed systematic review that has been prepared according to the Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions or Diagnostic Test Accuracy Reviews. Also included in the Library is the Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials (CENTRAL) is a highly concentrated source of reports of randomized and quasi-randomized controlled trials which often include an abstract (a summary of the article). Cochrane Clinical Answers (CCAs) are designed to inform point-of-care decision-making based on research from Cochrane Reviews.
Accessing this resource
- On-site: visit the Banner Health Library Services by following this link path: "Resources">Databases>C>Cochrane Library.
- With Bannerhealth.com email: Start on the library website and click on anything. You will be asked to login once with your Banner Health email, password, and Microsoft Authenticator App.
- Without BannerHealth.com email: Start at OpenAthens Portal. Login with your library issued Open Athens account and use links provided on the list of resources.
- Mobile: If you are accessing this resource via a mobile device, we highly recommend that you start at the library website (library.bannerhealth.com) follow this link path: "Resources">Databases>C>Cochrane Library. Once you do so, you will be prompted to enter your Banner Health credentials and authenticate using the Microsoft Authenticator app. Cochrane Library Collection is only available as a mobile website. The Cochrane Library app is view the monthly publication of systematic review summaries.
- From the publisher's website: Follow this ink path: "Menu">Sign-in>Institutional Login>Login using OpenAthens
How to search
Cochrane Library Collections provides several options for searching their content.
- Browse by topic
- Advanced search
- Search by keyword or MeSH heading (Advanced Search)
- Reduce results by search limiters
- Combine search history results
Recommended resource: How To Search in the Cochrane Library
If you are having issues accessing Cochrane Library Collection try these steps:
- Are you connected to Global Protect?
- From the Cochrane home page, follow this ink path: "Menu">Sign-in>Institutional Login>Login using OpenAthens. If you have a Banner Health email choose Banner Health from the "Find My Institution." If you do not have a Banner Health email log in with your OpenAthens account.
Chat with library staff if you are having problems accessing this resource.
Not finding the answer you are looking for? Please get in touch with the library or let us know about an FAQ that you think would be useful to others.